Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chile Verde Tacos *Recipe*


I have been cooking up a storm this past month, as it is one of my nanny duties for my sister-family,  and it has made me, oh, so happy to get back into my normal routine pre-teaching credential program. Cooking really is an art form, I think. The ingredients are the media and the meal is the finished piece of art. Cooking helps me feel creative and innovative in my daily routine and without it, the day just isn't as bright as the rainbow swiss chard or ruby, red beets that decorate my plate.

I made chile verde tacos last week, and while it wasn't my prettiest meal I have made, it was pretty easy and very yummy.

Chile Verde Tacos

1lb pork tenderloin
2 cans of 28oz chile verde sauce (or homemade tomatillo sauce)
1 bunch of chard, chopped (any color of the rainbow)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
Block of cotija cheese, use generously
Soft corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Cut pork tenderloin in approx. 1 inch squares and put in a 13x9" glass dish. Pour chile verde sauce over pork tenderloin pieces until they are covered. Place in oven and cook for about 3 hours, checking every hour to stir.
That 'Baby's Only' formula is going to haunt all my kitchen pictures

 


With about 30 minutes left until the chile verde pork is done, begin to chop onion and add to oiled pan on low-medium heat. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until brown and caramelized. Next, add chard until it cooks down and is soft.

Sliced, but not caramelized yet

 Caramelized: gooey sweetness

 Chopped

Caramelized, rainbowy goodness

Heat tortilla shells and serve with moist, tender pork, chard and onion mixture, and sprinkled with cotija. 

Delicioso y facil!

Buen provecho!

-Marci

No comments:

Post a Comment