Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Cast Iron Pita Bread

I have to admit that I was pretty stoked to try the cast iron pita bread from Smitten Kitchen's blog for a while because it looked so light and fluffy and moist, which is everything I do not experience from store bought pita bread. Although my final product did not look too much like Smitten Kitchen's pita bread pictures, it did taste delicious and more like naan than pita, actually.

The players
Super simple: flour, yeast, water, olive oil and salt
All mixed up

 Contemplating dough...

 Digging in! Forearms did get a little tired for this one. You knead until the dough gets nice and glossy.

 Rest little pita, rest. You *were* just pushed around for 10 minutes.

 Glossy and YUM!

 Divide dough into 8 balls and roll them out.

 My swap meet cast iron skillet met a new friend, pita. 

And, I may be eating it with nutella at the moment...Last night I was traditional and ate it with hummus, and it was great and all, but with its gooey, moist texture and sort of bland flavor I think it must be gussied up with some chocolate hazelnut spread, please. The recipe can be found here.

On another note, I am a little irked at the moment because I thought, hey, bread doesn't take long to cook in the oven, right? Well, wrong. The No-Knead Bread recipe from the New York Times actually takes up to 60 minutes in the oven. WTF?! So, sadly I won't be bringing it into my art class to share my new bread making skillz because I *assumed* it wouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Either I learned nothing from this little bread making experiment, or my classmates will think I made this all up and didn't bake anything because I don't have any proof. Or both. Shoot. 

I guess I'll just enjoy me a whole loaf of No Knead Bread tonight by myself. I didn't really want to share with 40 other people anyways. (just kidding, really)

-Marci

No comments:

Post a Comment