Monday, June 27, 2011

The Northern Garden

My sister is a natural. Gardener and mother, that is. Which leads me to her veggilicious garden and squeezilicious baby, North. When she focuses her love, it grows. Can you guess which one she is loving on now? How'd you guess?! North is growing (big boy, he is!) and the garden, well, it is surviving, let's say. Maybe when you have a baby the days and months just get all tangled up and before you know it, a whole season has passed and seeds are not in the ground...until Tia Marci shows up at your door.

Let's take it back a year. I, again, showed up at their door and peeked into the backyard to see a luscious garden, fraught with ripe vegetables ready to be picked and devoured. This year, I peeked through the front window to see a baby fraught with milk, ready to be auntie-kissed and hugged. I didn't even make it to the backyard garden until hours later...

I couldn't help but notice how priorities get shifted when a new body comes into the house and demands your attention 24/7. Okay, he's not that bad. He's actually the best baby ever! ;) (Oh North, Auntie loves you!) And I found it kind of comical comparing the garden of 2010 (Pre-North) to the garden of 2011 (Post-North).

Let's take a photo walk through of the Pre-North garden situation and the Post-North garden situation.

Pre-North: 
I just want to reach out and eat some 'maters

Post-North: 
There is a lot of room to just get your hands dirty, I guess...


Pre-North: 
Let's pull some out and eat!

Post-North: 
Zanahorias? You wouldn't know since there are no plants to identify.
Pre-North: 
beautiful sunflowers against back shed

Post-North: 
lonely prayer flags against back shed

Pre-North: 
Territorial blue jays and squirrels were the only warm-blooded visitors

Post-North: 
Well, squirrelly wirrily North!

 
And a smidgen more of mister smiley
So, I suppose I've learned that motherhood pretty much out weighs domestic and outdoor duties around the house. I can't lie and say auntiehood isn't any different actually...

Yep, I got the seeds in the ground and then went right back to loving on mister boo.

Admiring the garden from afar and my nephew up close-
Marci



1 comment: