Friday, March 12, 2010

Ryan's Cabbage Salsa Recipe

Nothing is worse than seeing produce go to waste. It just makes me cringe when I have to clear out the refrigerator and into the compost heap goes unused veggies. Embarrassingly enough it's a chronic problem for us with our CSA veggies. So I'm always excited when we find new ways to utilize produce we get in our box that we wouldn't otherwise use.

Last week Ryan did a fantastic job of using up cabbage and radishes that were otherwise destined to go bad. He made a fantastic cabbage salsa that went on tacos, breakfast burritos, and is a great seasonal substitute to go with chips instead of tomato salsa.

Picture: Ryan in the kitchen. He's not making cabbage salsa but I'm sure it's something tasty.


Here's Ryan's delicious and easy cabbage salsa recipe:

1 head green cabbage (chopped 1/4")
1 can diced tomatoes drained (or fresh tomatoes)

5 large radishes diced
5 green onions chopped
2 carrots diced
1 cup lime juice

1 orange juiced
3 tbs cider vinegar
salt/pepper

Mince following ingredients in food processor:

4 serrano chiles (with seeds for hot! And Ryan made it HOT!)

3 habanero peppers (again with seeds for hot)

4 cloves of garlic


Combine all ingredients, chill for 4 hours, eat.


This recipes makes a good big batch, which is great because the vinegar allows it to keep for a nice long time.

Delish!

Lila

2 comments:

  1. Ditto on the cringing of wasting CSA veggies...but I don't even have a compost to through them into. :( This sounds yummy on tacos and I'll see what we get on Tuesday in the box. I might just make it this week.
    Maybe Ryan should be a guest writer for us. ;) He should at least be a "follower" for our page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get cabbage this week? I think it may be standard during st. patty's week.

    This recipe was so good! I couldn't believe it because I really don't like anything pickled and this kinda has that going on, but I liked it anyway!

    ReplyDelete