Thursday, February 11, 2010

Urban Orchards

Have you ever enviously eyed a mature tree dripping with ripe fruit and wanted to just snatch one off and put it quickly in your pocket?  This probably happens more frequently to city folk.  I only say this because most urban dwellers do not have the space to grow numerous fruit or nut trees and when one sees a scrumptious pomegranate tree being neglected it can make you cringe.  Farmer's Markets and CSA's are great ways to enjoy fresh, local produce, but when one can easily enjoy fresh, local produce for free, even better.
Lemons hanging from my Grandpa's tree.
I recently watched an interesting program on PBS.org called Fallen Fruit about a renegade group of fruit lovers who get together to hike around several neighborhoods to pick fresh fruit from branches hanging away from private property.  It's very cool. They have discovered that if someone's tree branch hangs over onto public property, it automatically makes anything on that branch public property too.  And free for the pickin'. They start out in the evening with the goal in mind to find fresh fruit, as well as to mingle and meet new people with similar interests.  The fruities have even mapped out prime tree locations in various neighborhoods!

I love the idea and wouldn't it be cool to have a forum for one to post about an over abundance of fruit at their house?  Happy stomachs and no wasted food. Good stuff. I think I am going to do that some day...

This short documentary reminded me of fruit picking up in Red Bluff with my brother and dad at a peach orchard.  It is owned by a trusting elderly couple who don't have the means to pick and sell it themselves, so they allow the public to come, pick flats of peaches or nectarines and leave the money in a jar.  I know it doesn't seem too exciting, but I had quite a time picking peaches and nibbling nectarines. It was a fun time to spend with the family and enjoy the fruits of our labors together. ;)
 Jeff and I showing off our pickings

I can't wait to grow my own food, but until then I will be enjoying the fruits of others.

Marci

No comments:

Post a Comment