Monday, February 8, 2010

Red/Gold Potato Soup *Recipe*

In November and December of last year I made this soup 5 times.  For my boyfriend, for my sister, for my parents, for my boyfriend again and for my co-workers.  It's so good it makes you want to share it with everyone!  And it is a nice reminder that it is winter since I live where winter only peeks it's cold eyes every few weeks.

Red/Gold Potato Soup
(I've made it with red potatoes, russets and yukon golds.  You can make it with any or all.)

4 russets or 8 red or yukons
water
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
4 ribs of celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 slices of bacon
1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
8 oz white american cheese (not very sophisticated, you say? How very unpatriotic!)
1-2 teaspoons of lemon pepper
salt and pepper

Cut bacon into 1/4" pieces and add to medium-hot saucepan.  Cook until browned.  Remove bacon and set aside.  Keep bacon fat in saucepan and add chopped celery and onion.  Cook until soft and slightly browned.

While celery and onion are drowning in bacon fat, cut potatoes into 1/2" pieces and put in empty large pot.  Pour water into pot until just above the potatoes.  Add vegetable broth, cream of mushroom soup, bacon, and celery and onion when they are softened.  Stir and simmer until potatoes are tender, or about 30 minutes.
Slowly add pieces of cheese to soup and stir to melt and incorporate into mixture.  Next add lemon pepper, salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoyed best with good french white bread, like from Bread and Cie. :)

Veggie Note: One could omit the bacon to make it vegetarian and maybe add a bit more lemon salt and/or thyme for flavor.  Thanks to Tyler's dad for the yummy recipe I've made my own.

Enjoy on a cold, rainy evening!
Marci

No comments:

Post a Comment