Monday, May 4, 2009

work?!?

Sometimes it is so difficult for me to remember that I'm lucky to work for an organization that keeps me connected to the earth and the concept of sustainable practices. The Great Valley Center's mission is officially to support activities and organizations that promote the social, economic, and environmental well-being of California's Central Valley. I have to admit (which is hard when you're in the communications department) that the mission is pretty vague. But I will admit that the exposure I've gotten at GVC to people who are thought leaders in terms of communities that are healthy and environmentally sound is incredible.

I'm thinking specifically of this last week when on Tuesday I got to work at our AB32/SB375 local government actions event in Merced and then on Friday got to spend the day at Stewardship Day at the Burrows' Ranch in Tehama County. Tuesday's workshop was great in terms of those talking about legislation that is working to maintain California's environmental health. Particularly notable Judy Corbett, Executive Director of the Local Government Commission who I have long admired and got to hear speak for the first time last week. Judy talked specifically about sustainable communities and what the cost savings for communties can be when they implement sustainable practices, but more important than cost savings was Judy talking about the quality of life improvements people can experience when they live in communities designed with sustainability in mind. Judy's presentation is unfortunatly not linked at our energy program's blog yet but here is where it will be when it is: http://www.gvc-energy.org/. Stuart Cohen, from Transform, was also a great speaker.

Friday's outting to Bill Burrow's ranch in Tehama County for Stewardship Day was truthfully a little overwhelming. I had such a hard time keeping up on what they were talking about in terms of land management practices. I really appreciated the Red Bluff Daily News' story on Saturday, it helped me understand what I was supposed to understand while I was out at the ranch, while I actually picked up was that there were a thousand goats, yes a thousand head of goat, it was pretty cool- but I do just want to say I did pass on the goat lunch besides goat being the red meat that is highest in omega 3 (I learned that too).

Anyway work is just really on my mind as I prepare to take off tomorrow for our big annual conference. I'll probably post something following the conference considering some of the major topics are the future of food and the environment in the Central Valley- I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you were in goat heaven! :) It is cool to hear about what you are up to at work and find out what the GCV is doing too! I read about the big goat bbq last month when I was in RB visiting my parents. I am glad you didn't participate in any eating activities!

    ReplyDelete