Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Swap Meeting for Treasures

I'm unemployed. Oh wait, I'm employed, but not working (yet). Are they the same? To me it feels so. Which means I am being frugal and spending my time cleaning closets, bathrooms and under beds. It also means I have more time to notice items that we *should* have around the house. Like those new shoes I got for $10 (but they were so cute, you know?).

What is a great way to save money, hunt for treasures, NOT buy new things and have fun in the sun? Why, head to the swap meet of course! This past weekend my roommate and I did just that and went to Kobey's Swap Meet to search for some used goods. We had high hopes (since our last total letdown yard sale trip left us yearning for more) that through careful rummaging we could find what we were looking for. And we did! (and a little more :) Look what I got!:

Lovely green glass canning jars. I haggled (though I was nervous the first time) and paid $2!

One wooden chair for patio, which means I need to return to look for another ;)
It replaced one of the
fugly camping chairs uglying up porch

And my favorite purchase of the day:

Cast iron skillet! For $6.25! Lodge brand! Can you tell I'm excited!?

It needs some TLC. Re-seasoning time is near.

So, all in all I spent $15.25 for all my goodies and entrance fee into swap meet. Now I keep asking myself why I didn't come here sooner. I told bf that we should go this weekend too. I mean, I think I should be making up for all the times I never went when I only lived miles from the place!

Swap meeting has opened my eyes to all the used, quality goods goodness. It just feels nice to find a perfectly fine used item for LESS money and know you are saving the world from another thing to throw in the land fill. I am pretty sure all my family is getting Christmas gifts from Kobey's this year.

I am not kidding.

Happy thrift shopping,

Marci

1 comment:

  1. I love the canning jars! So pretty! I'm wondering if we have any good swap meets around here. I'll have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete